NEW YORK RANGERS POST-GAME NOTES
September 25, 2010 – New York Rangers 5 at New Jersey Devils 4 (OT) [Pre-Season Game: 2; Road: 1]
* The New York Rangers defeated the New Jersey Devils, 5-4, in overtime tonight at the Prudential Center to complete a home-and-home sweep against their Atlantic Division rival to begin their 2010-11 pre-season schedule. The Blueshirts tallied three unanswered goals in the game’s final 10:51 to complete their comeback from a two-goal deficit mid-way through the third period.
* The Rangers notched four power play goals in six attempts, including three goals with the man advantage in the third period and the overtime game-winner. New York converted two of seven power play opportunities in Thursday’s 4-3 overtime win vs. the Devils at MSG to finish the two-game set with a 46.2% (6-13) success rate with the man advantage.
* Michael Del Zotto led all skaters with four points, including a team-high three assists, while logging a game-high, 24:18 of ice time. Del Zotto, who finished second on the team and ranked second among NHL rookies with 22 power play points last season, recorded each of his four points on the power play. His game-winning goal just 52 seconds into overtime was the Rangers’ fourth consecutive power play goal in the contest.
* Following an early goal by New Jersey’s Ilya Kovalchuk, Ryan Callahan put the Rangers on the board with an even strength tally at 3:33 of the opening frame. Callahan also tallied two power play assists, including the primary assist on Del Zotto’s overtime game-winning goal.
* Ruslan Fedotenko notched a power play goal at 12:33 of the third period to tie the score at four goals, and added two assists in 17:43 of ice time.
* Defenseman Matt Gilroy registered two power play points (one goal and one assist), including the primary assist on Fedotenko’s game-tying goal at 12:33 of the third period, and logged 20:39 of ice time.
* Artem Anisimov recorded a power play goal at 10:01 of the third period, and won nine of 17 face-offs (53%) in 16:19 of ice time.
* Forwards Todd White and Tim Kennedy each collected their first point as a Ranger with one assist in the contest. White, who was acquired by the Rangers from Atlanta in exchange for forwards Donald Brashear and Patrick Rissmiller on August 2, assisted on Callahan’s first period goal while making his Rangers debut. Kennedy, who signed with the Rangers as a free agent on August 30, registered a power play assist on Del Zotto’s overtime game-winning goal.
* Henrik Lundqvist made 25 saves in net to register the win in his 2010-11 pre-season debut.
* The Rangers practice schedule for tomorrow, September 26, is 9:15 a.m. at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. Please note that only players who will not skate in tomorrow’s game at Detroit will participate in the morning’s practice.
* The Blueshirts will return to action tomorrow, September 26, when they will face-off against the Detroit Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena (5:00pm). The contest will be broadcast live on MSG Network.