BY: Bruce Berlet
Having already clinched a spot in the championship game, the New York Rangers prospects looked to enter their bid for a second tournament title undefeated Tuesday afternoon in Traverse City, Mich.
The winless Carolina Hurricanes provided the opposition, and the Rangers failed to show much of the speed, tenacity and play making they showed in their first two games, losing three leads and a 4-3 decision with 41 seconds left in a second overtime of 3-on-3 on Justin Shugg’s breakaway backhander off a turnover by Christian Thomas.
As Thomas, who scored the Rangers’ third goal with less than a second left in the first period, tried to make a play at the Carolina blue line, Skugg deftly poked away the puck, raced past defenseman/captain Dylan McIlrath and center Jonathan Audy-Marchessault and put a shot between the legs of Jason Missiaen (35 saves).
Posted in AHL, Connecticut Whale, Hockey, New York Rangers, NHL, Sports, Traverse City Tournament
Tagged AHL, Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Hurricanes, Connecticut Whale, Dallas Stars, Dave Maloney, Dylan McIlrath, Ken Gernander, Marc Staal, Michael Sauer, MSG Network, New York Rangers, NHL, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Traverse City Michigan
MSG NETWORK TELECASTING RANGER TEAM ACTION IN UPCOMING TRAVERSE CITY NHL PROSPECTS TOURNAMENT
* * * * *
All of the Ranger team’s action in the upcoming Traverse City NHL Prospects Tournament will be broadcast live on Madison Square Garden Network, affording local media the opportunity to obtain early highlights of a number of players likely to be major contributors on the 2011-12 Connecticut Whale squad. The prospects tournament, which is a prelude to the opening of NHL training camps, takes place this Saturday, September 10 through September 14 in Traverse City, Michigan.
WHO/WHAT: Connecticut Whale head coach Ken Gernander, and assistant coaches J.J. Daigneault and Pat Boller, will be leading a team of New York Ranger prospects into battle against the top prospects from eight other NHL teams in the annual Traverse City NHL Prospects Tournament, put on by the Detroit Red Wings in Traverse City, MI. Madison Square Garden Network will air all four of the Ranger team’s games in the tournament live. Among the players to watch on the Rangers’ Prospects Tournament Roster, from a Connecticut Whale perspective:
- Ryan Bourque (F) – son of NHL Hall of Famer Ray Bourque, and third-round Ranger draft pick
- Tim Erixon (D) – son of long-time Ranger stalwart Jan Erixon, and first-round Calgary Flames draftee
- Carl Hagelin (F) – Swedish import saw playoff action with Whale, after finishing his college career at U. Michigan
- Blake Parlett (D) – Had 2-10-12 in 24 games with the Whale last year, after callup from Greenville of the ECHL
- Jason Missiaen (G) – Tallest goaltender in pro hockey, at 6-8, practiced with Whale last year after finishing his Quebec Major Junior Hockey League season
- Andrew Yogan (F) – Notched 2-1-3 in two games with the Whale at the end of last season, out of the Ontario Hockey League
- Jyri Niemi (D) – Finnish import played 46 games with the Whale as a rookie last year
- Tommy Grant (F) – finished last season with Whale, at the end of his college year at U. Alaska-Anchorage
- Scott Stajcer (G) – Helped lead Ontario Hockey League’s Owen Sound Attack to Canada’s Memorial Cup tournament last year
- Jason Wilson (F) – fifth-round 2010 draft pick from the Ontario Hockey League
- Kale Kerbashian (F) – AHL contract signee out of the Ontario Hockey League
- Lee Baldwin (D) – split last season between the Whale and Greenville of the ECHL
- Jonathan Audy-Marchessault (F) – signed to an AHL contract after leading Quebec Major Junior Hockey League in playoff scoring
- Randy McNaught (F) – bruising 6-4, 217-pounder out of the Western Hockey League
WHEN: Ranger tournament Games are:
Saturday, September 10 vs. St. Louis – 7:00 PM faceoff Sunday, September 11 vs. Dallas – 6:00 PM faceoff
Tuesday, September 23 vs. Carolina – 3:30 PM faceoff Wednesday, September 14 – Placement Game – Time TBD
WHERE: All Ranger team tournament games will be telecast live on MSG Network.
Posted in AHL, Connecticut Whale, Hockey, New York Rangers, NHL, Sports
Tagged AHL, Connecticut Whale, Ken Gernander, National Hockey League, New York Ranger, New York Rangers, NHL, Ontario Hockey League, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Ray Bourque, Sports, Traverse City, Traverse City Michigan
RANGERS ANNOUNCE ROSTER FOR 2011 TRAVERSE CITY TOURNAMENT
The annual prospect tournament set to begin on September 10, 2011
New York, August 15, 2011 – New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today the roster for the 2011 Traverse City Tournament in Traverse City, Michigan. The annual prospect tournament is scheduled to begin on September 10 when the Rangers’ prospects face-off against the St. Louis Blues’ prospects. This marks the sixth consecutive year that a team of Rangers prospects will be competing in the eight-team tournament.
Posted in AHL, Connecticut Whale, ECHL, Greenville Road Warriors, Hockey, New York Rangers, NHL, Sports, Traverse City Tournament
Tagged Dylan McIlrath, Glen Sather, MSG Network, National Hockey League, New York, New York Rangers, NHL, St. Louis Blues, Traverse City, Traverse City Michigan